Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Accafellows

I found an article on Academic Search Complete called "The Accafellows: Expolring the music making and the culture of a collegiate a cappella ensemble."

This article talks about a case studies that were done at a University on an all male a cappella group. The study that was done consisted of recordings of group interviews, rehearsals, and performance observations. All of this research that was collected, revealed five themes. Music- making culture, fraternity, alumni involvement, leadership, and value of participation are all characteristics that are taught to these band members through a cappella. Although such positive results were found over the past twenty years few researchers have studied these self governed, student-run music ensembles, despite the growth in numbers, and popularity. 

By reading this article I have found more topics, and questions to bring up in my interview. I plan to ask about the bond that these guys have, or find out if they are strictly a music group. Also I want to know about the alumni involvement. I'm curious as to if when the group made the decision to go on a tv show if they had the emotional and financial support of alumni, or did they have to raise money themselves. As for value of participation, I would hope that everyone one on the team is dedicated to the group, but I'm going to ask if there is one person on the team that puts in more effort than the others, or if there is one person who is the "leader". 

No comments:

Post a Comment