Thursday, October 9, 2014

Contemporary A Cappella as a Show Choir Alternative

I found an article on Academic Search Complete called "Contemporary A Cappella as a Show Choir Alternative"

 This article talks about how a cappella groups have grown over the past twenty years, and how tv shows like the sing-off, and glee have helped this style of choir be introduced to large crowds. The uprising of a cappella groups in High Schools and colleges has caused a conflict as to if this more modern music should replace traditional choir. Heidi Welch, a High school music director has provided a list of reasons why a cappella should be and alternative for choir. "Contemporary a cappella music depends on listening and trust", says Welch. CAC groups also have a programming flexibility that other ensembles may not be able to manage. A school CAC group can be extremely rewarding for teachers and students alike. "I have such a close relationship with my singers," Welch says. "Leading a CAC group is definitely different from directing a show choir. Although the music may be more challenging, there are fewer extra considerations". 

This article really made me think of a cappella groups and how until now I really didn't know much about them. I don't really know the difference between a cappella and traditional choir, but to know that there is a conflict going on right now about whether changes should be made really shocks me because i didn't know it was such a huge deal. When I interview a member of the AcoUstiKats i think I will ask them about their experience with both a cappella and traditional choir. Which one they prefer, and if they think a cappella should be an alternative for choir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment