Friday, October 17, 2014

Interview

I interview Ron Wilber, a member of the AcoUstiKats. I asked him a series of questions about his experiences, the questions and answers are listed below. 

1. When did you start singing?

I've been singing since I can remember. My mother said I came out the WOMB wailing, but I think my first solo was in church at age 3!

2. What made you want to be in an A Cappella group?
There's something so natural and earnest about acapella. No instruments, no tracks; just you and your gift working to create something magical. That's what making music is all about.

3. What was your favorite event that you have preformed at, and why?

Oh, man. I have enjoyed so many different performances and experiences; of course, I'll have to default and say that The Sing-Off takes the cake.

4. Does everyone get along in the group?

DUH! We're like brothers; we fight like brothers, but we also work and have fun like brothers. Our differences are what join is together.

5. What is your favorite song that you have been able to perform?
Oh, man. Another HARD question.

As a classically trained musician, I've had the opportunity to song various types of music from all over the globe; I think thT the program that I put together for my senior recital was one of my all-time favorite performing moments. So much great music; ranging in all different languages! It was an eye-opening experience.

6. Are you a Theatre Major?

I am a double major in Music Education and Vocal Performance.

7. Who do you look up to most in the group?

You are just HITTING ME with all the hard answers. I love so many different things about everyone in the group. It's hard to chose and point out one single thing about an individual.

8. What have you learned most from being in a group such as this one?
That preparedness and teamwork will take you VERY far.

9. What was it like preforming on the Sing-Off?
Indescribable. Take you favorite ice cream, pair it with your favorite cake or pie; then imagine yourself eating those things in your favorite outfit on the most beautiful place in the world? Then add a puppy and great music; multiply it by infinity. Those feels equal how amazing it was to be on the show.

10. What is the biggest difference between choir, and A Cappella?

Definitely the style of music and genre. Choir can usual be more academic; while acapella can reach a current day mass of people. Of course, there are exceptions to the rules, but this is pretty true to form!

11. Do you like the movie Pitch Perfect? Does it compare to actual collegiate A Cappella?

Yes! All the scenes in the movie happen in various places around collegiate campuses, but it's QUITE true to form!

12. Is there one person in the group who is kind of the person in charge or is it a group effort entirely?
We all have our various jobs, roles, and tasks in the group. We all work together and that builds us up as a group.

13. Who picks what songs you preform?
Again, something we all discuss and agree on! Nick is our arranger; I am the Musical Director.

14. What are your plans after graduation in relation to the AcoUstiKats?
Well, I'm still singing with them and plan to stay as long as the group is thriving!

15. Do the AcoUstiKats have any big events coming up?

We are opening for The Sing-Off's Season 4 winners, Home Free, Saturday in Henderson, KY!

16. What do you like to do outside of A Cappella?

Teach, cook, read! The normals.

17. What is it like being on stage in front of thousands?
I always get nervous, but it's an exhilarate feeling; getting to share my gift with those who are willing to listen! I am so grateful!

18. If you could go back in time, would you change anything about your experiences?

I would take more pictures. No changes!

My interview with Ron went amazing, he is such a fun, out going person as you can tell from some of his answers. I think the AcoUstiKats are very lucky to have him as a member of their group.

No comments:

Post a Comment